What does healthy nutrition have to do with early childhood development? According to the Mayo Clinic, healthy nutrition is essential for brain growth, muscle development and much more. Here are their guidelines for what constitutes healthy nutrition for children.
Nutrient-dense foods include:
● Protein – Lean meat, soy products, eggs, poultry, seafood, beans and peas.
● Fruits – Fruits can be eaten fresh, dried, canned or frozen and your child should be encouraged to eat a variety. For fruit juices, be wary of artificial additives and sugar levels.
● Dairy – There are many low-fat or fat-free dairy products including cheese, milk, yogurt and soy products.
● Grains – Encourage your child to eat whole grains such as whole-wheat bread, brown rice, oatmeal and quinoa.
● Vegetables – Similar to fruits, vegetables can be eaten fresh, canned, or frozen. Dark green, red and orange vegetables are the healthiest and children should be encouraged to eat a variety.
If you are unsure about portion size or how much of each food group is adequate for your child, consult your pediatrician or refer to the charts provided by the Mayo Clinic.
Early childhood development also involves education
In addition to healthy nutrition, education is also crucial to early childhood development. At Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academies, we provide the necessary foundation which paves the way for future success. Our programs engage all of the senses and encourage emotional, physical, social and intellectual development in age-appropriate settings.
For more information about Kids ‘R’ Kids Learning Academies, or if you have any questions about the variety of educational programs, as well as the healthy and balanced meals we serve each day, contact us today. Come see first hand why a good learning environment, coupled with healthy nutrition, is beneficial for early childhood development. We look forward to hearing from you.
About Kids 'R' Kids Learning Academies ®
Headquartered in the North Atlanta suburb of Duluth, GA, Kids 'R' Kids Learning Academies® provide a secure, nurturing, and educational environment for children (ages 6 weeks - 12 years) to bloom into responsible, considerate, and contributing members of society. With nearly 160 locations in 14 states, Kids 'R' Kids International® is a family owned and operated organization that ranks in the top 10 nationwide for franchised early childhood education centers (www.kidsrkids.com).